P Motor


P Motor
Propellant Making Class
History / Concepts
The Beast
Ranc"O"r - Flight 1
Ranc"O"r - Flight 2
Photo Gallery
Movie Gallery




 This project started from incessant badgering from Neil McGilvray and the rest of the MDRA Liberty Project Team.  We decided to lift the Liberty (more info can be found at: http://www.mdrocketry.org/mgp.html) on a P and 2 O booster motors.  Since I had never done a P motor before, we decided to try it in Neil's COW rocket first.

Of course, Jeff Taylor at http://www.lokiresearch.com made the casing, and it was a beauty!  Threaded closures and a gorgeous finish made the 40lb casing look military-grade.

Neil's cow rocket had already lofted on a 6" O motor, so the airframe was tested. 
Jeff and I had some SERIOUS rocket science to do to get the design of the motor to a state that we were comfortable with.  We ended up deciding to make the first flight a very low pressure flight.  Our original propellant was way to slow, so I ended up adding a bit of Cupric Oxide to speed it up, hence the wonderful blue flame.

The motor is 6" in diameter, 6 grains each 8" long.  Total motor weight was right around 100lbs.

Sure enough, the button was pushed, and the 20ft tall, 16" diameter, 400lb rocket pulled a VERY slow 6g's and cruised under power for 6 seconds, and then coasted to 6700ft.  What a great accomplishment!

P grain, O grain, 3" grain, 54mm grain, 38mm grain

A 54mm grain INSIDE the core of the P motor grain

6" P grain, 4.5" O grain, 3" M grain, 38mm grain

Neil and a happy snap with the rocket

The Cow lifts on P motor power

The P motor at full thrust


Here is an Quicktime movie of the cow, courtesy of Chuck Rudy


Liftoff pictures courtesy of JerryO at http:/www/vahpr.com


More pictures and videos to follow





Home | P Motor | Propellant Making Class | History / Concepts | The Beast | Ranc"O"r - Flight 1 | Ranc"O"r - Flight 2 | Motors | Links | Photo Gallery | Movie Gallery | Feedback


This site was last updated 10/23/02